Served in Company H, 4th Cav., Virginia as Pvt
Unit Details:4th Cavalry Regiment completed its organization at Sangster's Cross Roads, Prince
William County, Virginia, in September, 1861. Its members were recruited in the counties of
Prince William, Chesterfield, Madison, Culpeper, Powhatan, Gouchland, Hanover, Fauquier,
Buckingham, and the city of Richmond. The unit was assigned to General J.E.B. Stuart's,
F.Lee's, Wickham's, and Munford's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. It participated in the
Battle of Williamsburg, the Seven
Days' Battles, and the Second
Manassas and Maryland campaigns. Later the unit was involved in the conflicts at Fredericksburg, Kelly's Ford, Chancellorsville, Brandy Station, Upperville, Gettysburg, Bristoe, Mine Run, The Wilderness, Todd's Tavern, Spotsylvania, Haw's Shop, and Bethesda
Church. The 4th went on to fight in the Shenandoah Valley with Early and around
Appomattox. It totalled 450 effectives in April, 1862, and lost about three percent of the 544
engaged at Gettysburg. After cutting through the Federal lines at Appomattox, it was broken up.
Only 2 members were present at the surrender. The field officers were Colonels Stephen D. Lee,
William H. Payne, Beverly H. Robertson, William C. Wickham, and W.B. Wooldridge; Lieutenant
Colonels Charles Old and Robert Randolph; and Majors Alexander M. Hobson and Robert E.